The parroquial church holds the title of Basilica given by Pope Leon XII in 1884, and it shows still today most of the architectural and iconographic richness.
In the entrance area there is a lean against the wall tomb [Arteyta Family, Inigo Arteyta First Spanish squad admiral, historical connection with Columbus and the conquer of the kingdom of Granada, around 1500], beside The Garden of Gethsemane, Easter procession float.
Immaculate Virgin image, polychromatic wood, baroque XVIII Century.
Our Lady of Carmel retable.
Saint Antonio de Padua retable.
Nuestra Seora de la Antigua retable from the beginning of the XVII Century has as the main central piece the Romanesque Byzantine image of Our Lady of Antigua [ title holder of the original church] dated from the XII Century, with a beautiful legend about the thorn tree that claims back to the 8th Century. Crowned by Pope John XXIII.
Communion Chapel, and in front, Pascual Abaroas tomb, benefactor of the basilica.
Pascual Bailon neogothic retable.
Neogothic harmonium, still in use, that together with the organ [see later] were given in 1854 by Jose Javier Uribarren.
Saint Miguel retable.
Our Lady of Sorrow, two masonry five pieces choir stalls rococo style. Some paintings.
Rococo style, polychromatic iron pulpit.
Saint Ana chapel, today as museum, vaulting and keystones decorated, dated in 1503. Conteins objects as, a Spanish Flemish triptych, polychrome wood, represents Jesus Passion, The Wipping, His way up to the Calvary, Crucifixion, The Descent and Resurrections.
On the left side, a sitting Madonna with a grape, beginning of the 16th, Marie Magdalene, St. John the Bathist, couple of painting as ''The Running to Egypt''
The Chapel of the Holy Cross keeps the legendary image of the Crucified Christ, the Sleeping Christ, the Pietate, all Eastern Procession floats. Also in this chapel two sepulchres. - On the wall, Inigo Loperena [1747-1762] also named "Lekeitio's little Gentleman". On the floor, Resurreccion Maria de Azcue [1864-1951] priest, writer, musician, founder of the Basque language Academy [Euskal-itzas-zaindia].
In 1853 Aristides Cavaille-Coll presented to Lekeitiosâ€™Town-Hall the Project o fan organ with manual 2 keyboards of 54 notes, a 30 notes pedal and 22 registers.
The cost was 2000 franks.
A Parisian banker born in Lekeitio, Jose Javier Uribarren, bought this organ for the basilica of his natal Villa. As such important organ required to be attended by and organ-player with studies, he offered to pay them, and Juan Mari Blas de Altuna was the chosen one, known in our Basque History as a collaborator of Iparraguirre in the composition of the, well known among the Basque, song "Gernikako Arbola".
In 1930, it was added two more registers to the pedal for pneumatic extension.
This is the first Romantic organ piece piece known in the Basque and Spanish land.
Since 1988, the official organ-player of the basilica is Aitor Olea Juaristi, 1995 title of piano professor in Juan Crisostomo Arriaga Conservatoire, Bilbao. Gold medal and Scylla reward in the ENM of Bayonne where in 1997 finished his organ studies.
2001, Honor mention and title of organ professor in the Jesus Guridi Conservatoire, Vitoria. Has offered concerts in France, Germany, England and Italy. Participate in different well known organ festivals San Sebastian, Alava, Guipuzcoa and is the master organizer of International Organ Festival of Lea-Artibai.
|Â© BasÃlica de Lekeitio. C/ Abaroa s/n. 48280. Lekeitio. Bizkaia.||Powered by Bajoelagua Factory|